Welcome to the Altipedia!
The goal of the Altipedia is to discuss and spread awareness to easily-accessible video-sharing sites that could function and serve as alternatives to YouTube, which is free YouTube's broken copyright system, and unnecessary censorship.
The Problem with Alternatives
The biggest problem is that since so few people use any video-sharing websites that aren't YouTube, those websites get little to no views, so advertisers don't put their ads there. And with no ad revenue, the websites struggle to grow, mainly since content creators need ad revenue to keep creating content.
As a result of this, many alternatives looked into different monetization options. Vlare for example offers premium membership at $5.99, bianco.tv merges Patreon-like rewards into a video site. Many sites are blockchain / cryptocurrency-based and offer cryptocurrency as an incentive for uploading and hosting videos.
The idea is that content creators, who are unable to earn money with their content will leave the site and use alternative video hosting sites, with the ultimate goal of breaking YouTube's monopoly over Content Creators.
How you can help?
If you're a content creator, seriously consider uploading your content to other video platforms as well. It may give you improved exposure towards new viewers and will help smaller sites grow.
- Keep it civil: Do not make personal attacks on other people. If you need to criticize another user’s argument, do so without attacking them as a person. Do not use bigoted language, including slurs which degrade another person or group of people based on gender, race, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, etc.
- Be a productive member of the wiki: Contribute to the wiki in line with the established processes and conventions. Need help? Ask an administrator! Disrupting the wiki with “edit warring” over differing opinions of a topic with another user or group of users is not productive.
- Do not engage in excessive self-promotion: The wiki is a collaborative community resource for the topic at hand. It is NOT a free place to advertise your related website, YouTube channel, blog, social media account, etc. Have a question about whether your link would be welcome? Ask an administrator!
- Do not harass other users: If somebody asks you to stop posting certain content on their wall, respect their wishes. It is their wall.
- Do follow community guidelines for formatting: When a community has established formatting, it’s important to adhere to that, especially when spoiler content is involved.
- No Spamming or Vandalism: Do not spam or vandalize the comment section or articles in General.
- Your site must exist: When contributing to this Wiki, you must prove that your site physically exists or had existed in the past.